On October 27 & 28, 2016, the Ohio State University Department of History, in partnership with the U.S. World War One Centennial Commission, hosted a symposium marking the 100th anniversary of the war. The symposium included presentations on:
- The Military History of World War I, 1914-1918
- Financing the First World War
- War, Death, and Remembrance in 1914-1918
- WWI and the Emerging Laws of War
- Shell Shock: Core Insights of the Recent Historiography
- KEYNOTE: The Redefinition of Battle: Verdun and the Somme, 1916
Prior to each presentation, Ohio State students in theatre and the arts departments recited selections of World War I poetry and even shared a period song. Their participation offered a poignant and powerful combination of “cleansing the mental palate” and preparation for diving into an hour-long perspective on various aspects of the war.